Can you feel the heat? It seems that summer season has officially started in Montreal! Shorts, sandals and skirts are out from hiding in the back of our closets and out in to the streets! For humans it is easy to enjoy the summer and keep comfortable. But what about our furfriends? The ASPCA has published their six most important pet-safe summer tips to keep our furry pals safe during these following months:
- Give your pet access to plenty of fresh water at all times. Even the healthiest pets can suffer from dehydration, heat stroke and sunburn if overexposed to the heat.
- Avoid lathering your pet with any insect repellent or sunscreen not intended for the four-legged kind.
- Keep your pet away from matches, citronella candles and lighter fluid, which if eaten can irritate the stomach, lungs and central nervous system
- Be cool near the pool. Don’t leave pets unsupervised around a pool, lake or high waters-not all dogs are expert swimmers!
- Never leave your dog, cat or any other animal friend alone in a car! The inside of a car can heat up very quickly-even with a window open.
- Be prepared! From tornadoes to floods, we’ve seen the devastation severe weather has brought to pets and their families these past few weeks. Develop an evacuation plan well ahead of time in case you’re forced from your home in an emergency.